How to grade your dog’s
food: (Some brands are done at the very bottom)
Start with a grade of 100:
1) For every listing of “by-product”,
subtract 10 points.
2) For every non-specific animal source (”meat”
or “poultry”, meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points.
3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin,
subtract 10 points.
4) For every grain “mill run”
or non-specific grain source, subtract 5 points.
5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or
more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. “ground brown rice”, “brewer’s rice”, “rice
flour” are all the same grain), subtract 5 points.
6) If the protein sources are not meat meal
and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points.
7) If it contains any artificial colorants,
subtract 3 points.
8 ) If it contains ground corn or whole grain
corn, subtract 3 points.
9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients,
subtract 2 more points.
10) If the food contains any animal fat other
than fish oil, subtract 2 points.
11) If lamb is the only animal protein source
(unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points.
12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract
13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that
your dog isn’t allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points.
14) If it contains beef (unless you know that
your dog isn’t allergic to beef), subtract 1 point.
15) If it contains salt (or sodium, as it is
also called), subtract 1 point.
1) If any of the meat sources are organic,
add 5 points.
2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed
group or nutritionist, add 5 points.
3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5
4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points.
5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points.
6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn
or other grains), add 3 points.
7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and
antibiotic-free, add 2 points.
8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points.
9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not
just the seeds), add 2 points.
10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add
11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add
12) For every different specific animal protein
source (other than the first one; count “chicken” and “chicken meal” as only one protein source
but “chicken” and “salmon” as 2 different sources), add 1 point.
13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin,
add 1 point.
14) If the vegetables have been tested for
pesticides and are pesticide-free add 1 point.
94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
69 = F
Here are some foods that have already been
Dog Food scores:
Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 = A+
Select / Score 68 = F
Blue Buffalo / Score 114 = A+
Canidae All Life Stages Chicken & Rice / Score 94 = A
All Life Stages Lamb & Rice / Score 101 = A+
Canidae Platinum / Score 91 = B
Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 = A+
Maintenance / Score 64 = F
Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 = B
Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 =
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 = A+
Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 = A+
Foster and Smith Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Formula / Score 101 = A+
Doctors Foster and Smith Adult Lamb & Brown
Rice Formula / Score 102 = A+
Eagle Pack Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Adult Formula / Score 101 = A+
Pack Super Premium Large & Giant Breed Puppy Formula / Score 97 = A
Eagle Pack Super Premium Natural Formula / Score
96 = A
Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Formula / Score 82 = B
Foundations / Score 106 = A+
Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb)
by Solid Gold / Score 93 = B
Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 = D
Innova Dog / Score 114 = A+
Evo /Score 114 = A+
Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables (Costco brand) / Score 110 = A+
Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 96 = A
Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 = B
Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy
/ Score 87 = B
Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Adult / Score 86 = B
Nutro Max Large Breed Adult / Score 85 = C
Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 = F
Premium Edge Chicken, Rice & Vegetables / Score 111 = A+
Edge Lamb, Rice & Vegetables / Score 110 = A+
Premium Edge Puppy Large Breed Lamb, Rice & Vegetable / Score 104
ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 = A+
Purina Beneful / Score 17 = F
Purina Dog / Score 62 = F
Come-n-Get It / Score 16 = F
Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 = A+
Royal Canin Large Breed Giant Adult Formula / Score
95 = A
Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 = A+
Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 = A
Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 = F
Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 = F
Wellness Fish &
Sweet Potato (for skin & coat issues) / Score 108 = A+
Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 = A+
Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 = A
Side note: Those feeding raw should really
find this enlightening.